Wednesday 2 April 2014

Weddings in Gujarat customized with its Grand Culture takes one to a different Era

In India, weddings are nowadays celebrated as a grand event; Gujarat is no exception to this fact. Their high culture quotient comes alive when two persons are wedded into a matrimonial bliss.

Though I have visited this colorful state two times, I still find myself getting attracted towards it. With my earlier two visits, I got a firsthand experience in satisfying my quench to get in-depth understanding about the culture of Gujarat, its various art forms, variety in dance and music also. Whenever a travel tour is planned in a city apart from your home place, then the main concerns that pops in one’s mind is ‘food’. Gujarati food or cuisine is not limited to dhoklas, khandvas or sweet dal, rather there’s variety to it. Gujarati people can offer you the spiciest of their delicacies. On my last visit, I didn’t miss my chance to savor one of the lavish Gujarati thali (vegetarian) that fulfilled my taste buds to eternity.




This was my third to the state of utmost festivity and enthusiasm. I went to attend one my best friend’s wedding. Since, I thought a Gujarati wedding was the only aspect which I haven’t seen, I immediately jumped to the idea of attending a Gujarati wedding. Whenever I recollect my memories of the wedding, my urge to go back to Gujarat increases, the non-stop dancing to the tunes of dhol, doing Garba with my girl-friends, having lip smacking food and snacks, even though being deprived of knowing their names, witnessing all the rituals that goes into bringing together two entirely different families by getting their children married, was all an experience which I will cherish for life.

A lot goes into making the wedding a grand fair, though the customs and traditions are followed since their forefather’s time, a twist of modernity is added to some of the functions. Gujarati people take immense pride and pleasure in celebrating their ceremonies with utmost dedication and devotion. Gujarati wedding is a 3-day festivity consisting of an engagement ceremony, mehendi night and the sangeet gala, where each and everyone rejoiced every minute of the grand ceremony. I should also add that my friend, the bride, looked like a beautiful fairy in her traditional red and white saree, all decked up with jewelry, henna and a red and gold veil.

Hope I get another reason to visit again during any of the festivals of Gujarat like Navratras, Uttarayan, and many more.

No comments:

Post a Comment